Walk in our doors on any day of the week and you will find lots going on. Join us Sundays at a worship service or volunteer with our outreach activities. Enjoy one of the many spiritual development seminars or study groups, meditation groups, musical offerings, children’s events, social events and clubs, educational or health and wellness activities that take place every week at First†Met. First†Met is part of the North Park Neighbourhood, a vibrant area of businesses, homes, heritage buildings and services located in the heart of downtown Victoria with an active neighbourhood association. First time at First Met?
Program Information Sheet for April to June Now Available
Welcome to an inclusive, progressive Communion service with a contemporary liturgy each Sunday at 9:00 am. All are welcome to partake in communion. The service in the round is held in the Chapel (entrance off Balmoral).
Click on the titles below for more information and to register.
- Music and Meditation in the Style of Taizé: May 17 and Jun 21, 2013, 6:00 pm at First Metropolitan United Church
- Gentle Yoga in the Chapel, Extended through June due to popular demand! Mondays Apr 22 to June 27, 2013, 10:30 to 11:30 am
- First Met Next series with Cameron Trimble: Jun 11, 2013, 7:00 pm
- Questions and Answers – Redevelopment Task Force update. May 29, 7:00 pm and Jun 2, 12:15 pm
- Ramblers Hike to Swan Lake and Christmas Hill. Meet at First Met: May 18, 2013, 9:00 am. More info on the Events Calendar.
- Family Caregiver Series: Wednesdays,, 22 & 29, 2013, 2:00 pm at Yakimovich Wellness Centre, 1454 Hillside Ave. See the Events Calendar for details.
- Day of Action to Reclaim PKOLS, 5:00 pm, Mount Douglas Park. See Events Calendar for details.
- Family Caregiver Support Group, May 23, 1:00 pm
- Joy of Life Festival with Daniel Lapp and Louise Rose, May 24 and 25, 7:30 pm here at First†Metropolitan. More info
- Wellness Support Group, May 29, 1:00 pm.
- Arbutus Singers and ChoirKids Year-end Concert, May 31 and Jun 1, 7:30 pm here at First†Metropolitan, More info
- UCC event: Surprising Hope: Doing Justice in a Complex World: May 26, 2013 Noon to 5:00 pm (Cadboro Bay United Church). See events calendar for more details.
- Camp Pringle 3rd Annual Golf Tournament at Prospect Lake Golf Course: June 2, 1:00 pm. See the Events Calendar for more details.
- Open House at Congregational Emanu-El to celebrate 150th anniversary: June 2, 1:30 pm. More info
- Encountering Sophia, the Wise One Within Retreat: Jun 8, 2013, 9:30 am to 3:30 pm
- North Park Neighbourhood Festival: June 15, 2013, noon to 5:00 pm in Franklin Green (corner of Cook and Mason Streets). See the Events Calendar for more info.
From the Heart: Enter into the Journey of Reconciliation
This innovative community dialogue project inspired by Paulette Regan’s bestselling book, Unsettling the Settler Within, brings together a multi-cultural group of 30 non-Indigenous Canadians between the ages of 18 and 79 to find common ground working together to create a unique theatre projection in Victoria this summer which responds to the question: how do we reshape our relationship with First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples? First†Met is delighted to be able to offer rehearsal space to this project. More info…
Urgent Needs at Our Place
There are many opportunities to share your time or goods with Our Place. Urgently needed are items of men’s clothing as the racks are bare. If you are spring cleaning, please donate any unneeded items to Our Place, which offers them for free to those in need. Other needs include basic food items, toiletries, first aid supplies, blankets, bus tickets, etc. Volunteers are needed to help with data entry, driving, food service, fund raising, grant writing, hygiene, reception, research, pastoral care and maintenance. Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points can be also be donated.
Children and Youth Ministry at First†Met
We believe that children and youth are part of the body of Christ – a community in which all members are valued and contribute to the whole. For a summary of youth-focused worship events, programs for children and parents, youth and young adults, including leadership development opportunities, see our
Children and Youth Ministry page.
First†Met’s Sanctuary Roof Information and Appeal
Our roof is snug as winter approaches, but contributions to our campaign are still welcome!
Are you, your family members or friends experiencing health problems, bereavement, relationship issues, work-related or student concerns, or other issues? The prayer team exists to support you in prayer, so take the leap and make a request!! Click here for Prayer Requests
Share your soul’s journey with someone who has travelled a similar road and who has been trained to listen with compassion. Linda Mulhall, MEd, a member of the First†Met congregation, has a private practice offering spiritual guidance. Click here for more information on Spiritual Guidance.
Community Engagement: Monthly Inner City Dinner
The City of Victoria isn’t the only one celebrating its 150th birthday; the city’s oldest church, First Metropolitan United (or, as it’s more commonly known, “First Met”), also turns 150 this year. Shaw TV’s Jen Muranetz stops by to learn more about one of the church’s most valued outreach programs. Click Here to View. (3:19 minutes)
Share Your Gifts
First†Met is a large, active community that reflects its calling to love, honour, worship and serve God through programs that reach inward to foster spiritual growth and outward to help meet the needs of our neighbours and others in the world beyond. Your support allows us to maintain the array of programs we presently offer, add new programs to serve emerging needs, and update our church facility. See our Special Gifts brochures (PDF/2pp/400 KB) for more information and how to Share Your Gifts.
Share your talents with members of our congregation and the broader community by volunteering with one of our many programs.
About the First†Met Website
The First†Metropolitan United Church website is built on a WordPress platform, an open-source publishing and content management system. Using an automated system such as this means we can easily update and revise content. Two prominent features of our site (apart from the fresh design) are an events calendar and the use of subject tags such as “Weddings” or “Youth Ministry” for content elements. Subject tags enable us to link related content regardless of where it may be on the site.