You are warmly welcome here! Walk in our doors any day of the week and you will find lots going on. Join us Sundays at a worship service or volunteer with our outreach activities. You are invited to participate in any of the many activities our First†Met community is involved in: social events and clubs, spiritual development seminars, meditation groups, musical offerings, children’s programs, health and wellness activities -and more! First†Met is part of the North Park neighbourhood, a vibrant area of businesses, homes, heritage buildings and services located in the heart of downtown Victoria. First time at First Met?
We apologize for the technical problems which disrupted our livestreaming on Nov 17, Nov 24 and Dec 1. We are in the process of installing some new equipment and adjusting the settings as a result of these changes. Livestreaming will return for the start of Advent on Dec 8.
The Edge Network for Ministry Development has begun a conversation about the future of the church, exploring new ways of being faithful in a rapidly-changing time and society. Join and share in the conversation offering your hopes, fears, dreams and visions to the discussion.
Unsettling Goods: An Economic Boycott of Illegal Israeli Settlement Goods
The United Church of Canada is supporting this economic boycott campaign of goods made in illegal Israeli settlements. Perhaps you’d like to join them in this action too!Learn more about this initiative of the United Church of Canada.
Advent 2013 Newsletter
Welcome to an inclusive, progressive Communion service with a contemporary liturgy each Sunday at 9:00 am. All are welcome to partake in communion. The service in the round is held in the Chapel (entrance off Balmoral).
Click on the titles below for more information and to register.
- Epiphany Explorations 2014 (Jan 16 to 20). Early Bird Deadline has passed but there is still time to register. Explore our new website for the conference with detailed information about the conference and videos of upcoming speakers!
- Jazz Alive! Wednesday evening, Dec, 4 and Dec 11, 7:00 pm
- Watch a totem pole being carved in a corner of our sanctuary by Tony Hunt Jr, gifted First Nations carver between early December 2013 and January 2014.
- National Day of Action on Violence Against Women Ecumenical Service: Dec 6, 2013, 12:00 noon.
- Many Hearts, One Voice: SingYourJoy Young Adult Chorus in concert at Cadboro Bay United Church: Dec 7 & 8, 2013, 7:00 pm
- Climate Action Film Series: Jan 27, Feb 24, Mar 24, Apr 28, 2014, 7:00 pm
- Soul Harp Concert with Julia Cunningham, Jan 29, 2014, 7:00 pm
Advent and Christmas Events
Looking for the true meaning of Christmas? Participate in our Advent and Christmas services and events this December:
- Celtic Vespers – A Visit to the Manger: Dec 6 at 5:15 pm
- Second Sunday of Advent worship with Bethel Lee preaching, Dec 8, 9 and 11 am. Pringle Bells Handbell Choir at 11 am service
- Longest Night/Blue Christmas with jazz by Maureen Washington and Daniel Cook: Dec 11, 7:00 pm
- Third Sunday of Advent and White Gift Sunday presented by the Sunday School: Dec 15, 9:00 and 11:00 am
- Fourth Sunday of Advent and Christmas Sunday: Special Christmas music with the Sanctuary Choir and Paul Winkelmans, baritone at the 11 am service: Dec 22, 9:00 and 11:00 am.
- Carols in the Candlelight – the Selfish Giant: Dec 23 and 23, 7:30 pm.
- Family Christmas Eve service: Dec 24, 4:30 pm
- Communion and Carols, led by young adults: Dec 24, 11:00 pm
- Communion service featuring a flute quartet: Dec 29, 11:00 am. No 9:00 am service today.
- Music For Meditation: Jan 1, 2014, 2:00 to 4:00 pm
Urgent Needs at Our Place
There are many opportunities to share your time or goods with Our Place. Needed are men’s clothing, basic food items, toiletries and hygiene items, first aid supplies, blankets, bus tickets, etc. Volunteers are needed to help with data entry, driving, food service, fund raising, grant writing, hygiene, reception, research, pastoral care and maintenance. Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points can be also be donated. Thank you!
Thank you to the City of Victoria!
The City of Victoria has decided that for the next three years, First†Metropolitan United Church will not have to pay property taxes. This amounts to a saving of $102,761 over the next three years.
Are you, your family members or friends experiencing health problems, bereavement, relationship issues, work-related or student concerns, or other issues? The prayer team exists to support you in prayer, so take the leap and make a request!! Click here for Prayer Requests
Share your soul’s journey with someone who has travelled a similar road and who has been trained to listen with compassion. Linda Mulhall, MEd, a member of the First†Met congregation, has a private practice offering spiritual guidance. Click here for more information on Spiritual Guidance.
Share Your Gifts
First†Met is a large, active community that reflects its calling to love, honour, worship and serve God through programs that reach inward to foster spiritual growth and outward to help meet the needs of our neighbours and others in the world beyond. Your support allows us to maintain the array of programs we presently offer, add new programs to serve emerging needs, and update our church facility. See our Special Gifts brochures (PDF/2pp/400 KB) for more information and how to Share Your Gifts.
Share your talents with members of our congregation and the broader community by volunteering with one of our many programs.
About the First†Met Website
The First†Metropolitan United Church website is built on a WordPress platform, an open-source publishing and content management system. Using an automated system such as this means we can easily update and revise content.