Where ever and whom ever you are, you are warmly welcome here! We are a diverse, inclusive and vibrant community located in the heart of the Downtown area and are part of the North Park neighbourhood. Come into our church any day of the week and you will find it full of activity. Sundays, we have two services: a communion service at 9:00 am and a worship service with the sanctuary choir, Children’s Time and Sunday School at 11:00 am followed by coffee and friendship. Our health and wellness, spiritual development, and social justice programs nurture us and help us live out our faith in ways that are healthy and that enrich ourselves, our community and our world. New to us?
June 28 and 29 events and services
Join others from First†Met in Victoria’s Multifaith Tar Sands Healing Walk this Saturday from 1:00 to 4:00 pm. The walk begins at the Delta Ocean Pointe Hotel and ends up at First†Met where thewalkers will be welcomed and will hear speakers about the tar sands, the impacts on First Nations, climate change and resource development in BC.
On Sunday, June 29, there will be services at the congregational camp at Camp Pringle, Shawnigan Lake, at the Presbytery-wide service at the Saanich Fairgrounds and an 11:00 am service in the First†Met chapel. There will not be a 9:00 am service that day nor will the 11:00 am service be livestreamed. For those who attend via livestreaming, we will broadcast the 9:00 am service held at Epiphany Explorations 2014.
Church Pews for Sale
First†Met is replacing its sanctuary pews with chairs. This is a golden opportunity for churches to purchase these beautiful oak pews or for woodworkers to purchase the pews for remilling and creating fine furniture. Read more: Church Pews for Sale
The church will be closed June 30and July 1 for the Canada Day Holiday. During July and August, we will be going to summer hours and will be open as follows:
- Weekdays: 10 am to 2:00 pm
- Monday and Thursday evenings: 5:45 to 9:30 pm
- Saturday: closed
- Sundays: 8:00 am to 2:00 pm
Redevelopment plans continue to evolve. Lots of useful ideas and suggestions as well as questions were received at the redevelopment workshops held Dec 1. Additional input was received on Dec 15. The Redevelopment Committee wants to keep you updated on these plans, starting with this Advent message. Some interesting possibilities are raised in this video. Starting March 1st, the Redevelopment Task Group held the four meetings to present to the congregation its work on the options we face in redevelopment, including the proposal from the Greater Victoria Housing Society for an affordable housing development on the Fellowship Hall site.
Spring 2014 Newsletter and 2013 Annual Report
Welcome to an inclusive, progressive Communion service with a contemporary liturgy each Sunday at 9:00 am. All are welcome to partake in communion. The service in the round is held in the Chapel (entrance off Balmoral). No services at 9:00 am on June 22 and 29.
Click on the titles below for more information and to register.
- Gentle Yoga in the chapel: Mondays at 10:30 am from Jan 6 on, except for statutory holidays. No session on June 30.
- Taizé music and meditation: June 20, Taize will be at St. John the Divine Anglican Church, 1611 Quadra St. at 6:00 pm
- Summer Strollers begin May 29 and continue to Sep 18, 10:00 am each Thursday
- The Spirituality of Writing: June 2, 9, 16 and 23, 2014, 7:00 pm
- Jazz Gospel Worship in the sanctuary with Louise Rose, Kelby MacNayr and the Summer Gospel Choir: June 22, 11:00 am. Note there is no 9:00 am communion service today, but communion served at 10:30 am.
- The Earth is Our Mother: A Day Apart for Women: June 26, 2014. See events calendar for more info.
- Congregational Family Camp: June 27-29, 2014
- Ramblers Hike to Cobble Hill Mountain: June 28. See Events calendar for details.
- Tar Sands Healing Walk from delta Ocean Pointe Hotel to First Metropolitan United Church: 1:00 to 4:00 pm
- Single Sunday Service in the Chapel: June 29, 11:00 am
- Presbytery-wide worship at Saanich Fairgrounds: June 29, 10:30 am. See the events calendar for more details.
- Summer Movie Nights: Thursdays, Jul 3 to Aug 28, 2014
- Kathaumixw choirs: July 7, 2014, 7:00 pm
- The Art of Seeing: July 7, 14 and 21, 2014, 7:00 pm
- TBirds Youth Soccer Fun Day: July 12, 12:00 noon at Vic High School
- West My Friend concert: Aug 31, 2014, 7:00 pm
Urgent Needs at Our Place
There are many opportunities to share your time or goods with Our Place. Needed are men’s clothing, basic food items, toiletries and hygiene items, first aid supplies, blankets, bus tickets, etc. Volunteers are needed to help with data entry, driving, food service, fund raising, grant writing, hygiene, reception, research, pastoral care and maintenance. Also needed for a Men’s Day on Father’s Day are: hoodies, sweat pants, underwear,shoes, cologne, good razors, deodorant, shaving cream, nail clippers, grooming kits, men’s toiletries and socks. Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points can be also be donated. Thank you!
Thank you to the City of Victoria!
The City of Victoria has decided that for the next three years, First†Metropolitan United Church will not have to pay property taxes. This amounts to a saving of $102,761 over the next three years.
Are you, your family members or friends experiencing health problems, bereavement, relationship issues, work-related or student concerns, or other issues? The prayer team exists to support you in prayer, so take the leap and make a request!! Click here for Prayer Requests
Share your soul’s journey with someone who has travelled a similar road and who has been trained to listen with compassion. Linda Mulhall, MEd, a member of the First†Met congregation, has a private practice offering spiritual guidance. Click here for more information on Spiritual Guidance.
Share Your Gifts
First†Met is a large, active community that reflects its calling to love, honour, worship and serve God through programs that reach inward to foster spiritual growth and outward to help meet the needs of our neighbours and others in the world beyond. Your support allows us to maintain the array of programs we presently offer, add new programs to serve emerging needs, and update our church facility. See our Special Gifts brochures (PDF/2pp/400 KB) for more information and how to Share Your Gifts.
Share your talents with members of our congregation and the broader community by volunteering with one of our many programs.
About the First†Met Website
The First†Metropolitan United Church website is built on a WordPress platform, an open-source publishing and content management system. Using an automated system such as this means we can easily update and revise content.