When Metropolitan United Church and First United Church joined together in 1997, it marked the amalgamation of two historic congregations in Victoria, one with Presbyterian roots, the other with Methodist and Congregational roots. The United Church of Canada, founded in 1925 by these three denominations, was at the forefront of the ecumenical movement in Canada. Together we bring over 300 years of mission and service to the life of Victoria, with a ripple effect that has literally gone out around the world. As strong winds of change have blown through society at the beginning of the 21st century, so the Spirit encourages us to become a fresh and vital community of Christ at the heart of the city.
First Presbyterian Church was originally located at the corner of Blanshard and Pandora. The congregation worshiped at this location until 1913 when the existing building now longer met the needs of the expanding numbers of members. The land was sold and new property purchased at Quadra and Balmoral.
Metropolitan Methodist Church was founded in 1859 and First Presbyterian Church shortly after in 1862. The former Metropolitan United Church at the corner of Pandora Avenue and Quadra Street was the second church built by that congregation and was opened in 1891. The Victoria Conservatory of Music now owns the complex.