Rights and Responsibilities of Volunteers and Lay Leaders at First†Met
In a positive Volunteer experience there is giving and receiving in the very best sense. When volunteers share their gifts with us, they can expect to give and receive the following:
What will you receive?
- The satisfaction of knowing that you have made an important contribution to the life of the church community and to everyone who participates in its programs.
- A choice of a suitable assignment with consideration for personal preference, life experience, skills and interests.
- Supervision and direction so that you know why the task is being done and that your work is effective through sound feedback, guidance and support.
- Being heard and treated as an equal partner: to have a part in the planning; to feel free to make suggestions; to have a respect shown for an honest opinion; to have the opportunity to make a difference.
- Recognition through on-going expressions of appreciation and formal training when feasible.
- A variety of volunteer experiences and assignments
What do we expect you to give?
- To be sincere in your offer of service: know that you really want to give your time, that you believe in and value what you are doing; accept only as much responsibility as you are willing and able to deal with.
- To be willing to learn: know all you can about your job and participate in training; and welcome supervision.
- To be dependable: do what you have agreed to do; make promises you can keep; notify your staff partner as soon as possible, when it is impossible to fulfill your commitment.
- To be a team player: be considerate, respect others’ contributions; ask about things you don’t understand, get the answers you need; to be persistent, and not easily discouraged; provide feedback, suggestions and recommendations to your staff partner and other volunteers.
- To understand the functions of the staff: work with your staff person and maintain a smooth functioning relationship.
- To follow the guidelines – the policies and procedures – as established by our Church Governance.